Combined Cadet Force
Combined Cadet Force (CCF)
Matravers was one of a 100 schools who successfully joined the Cadet Expansion Programme (CEP) introduced in 2012. The Contingent was established in 2017 following a period of partnership with Warminster School. The Contingent has rapidly grown since its establishment, becoming one of the largest and most successful CEP schools with over 100 cadets.
The CCF is an opportunity for all members of the Matravers family to join and every student is encouraged to think differently about the opportunities available to them. Joining the CCF all cadets would be expected to develop their confidence, resilience, teamwork and leadership skills. Our best example of this would be, Cadet Under Officer Katie Bradbeer, who received the British Citizen Youth Award for her impressive leadership skills developed while being a member of the Contingent.
The Contingent HQ is located onsite which functions as offices, classroom and storage space. The school grounds form a large site for training opportunities that support an indoor air rifle range, Climbing wall and field classroom. All are used frequently to provide the best cadet experience to each member of the Contingent.
Despite our youthfulness, the CCF has quickly established itself as a recognisable part of the Westbury community. Our achievements include:
- Mayors Cadet of the Year 2018 – Cdt SSgt K Bradbeer
- Westbury Young Persons Awards Young Leader 2018 – Cdt SSgt J Cannings
- Regimental Sergeant Majors Award Best cadet at Central Camp Okehampton 2018 – Cdt SSgt J Cannings
- Exercise Tiger Venturer Matravers – Snowshoe expedition in the Mercantour National Park, France
- Regimental Sergeant Majors Award Best cadet at Central Camp Longmoor 2019 – Cdt Cpl B Bell
- 88 % Duke of Edinburgh’s Award completion of those eligible to enrol
- 35 mile Ten Tors Challenge Bronze Medal 2019
- Westbury Young People Awards 2019 – Young Sports Team of the Year
- The Prince of Wales Best Cadet Unit expedition - Exercise Tiger Venturer Matravers
- British Citizen Youth Award – Cadet Under Officer K Bradbeer
The Army Air Corps Beret
The CCF is affiliated to 1 Regiment Army Air Corps (AAC) based at RNAS Yeovilton, this affiliation was established shortly before the standalone of the Contingent in May 2017. Matravers are honoured to represent the Corps in Wiltshire, creating a presence for where the AAC originated. We are extremely grateful for all support the regiment have provided since our affiliation, which has included two school helicopter visits and a station tour of RNAS Yeovilton.
The RAF Corps Beret
We established an RAF Corps in 2022. Further information will follow.
Corps of Drums
In 2019 we launched our Corps of Drums, to provide an additional unique opportunity for our cadets. The Corps of Drums meet weekly to rehearse and revise their repertoire, to perform for school and community events. Our Corps of Drums will also respond to requests for performances and parades, should you wish to enquire about this please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Ethos “To be the Best”
Our Contingent ethos defines everything we do, we expect every cadet to ask themselves “Am I being the best version of me” in uniform and out of it. We believe that by our cadets constantly challenging themselves to meet this ethos, we will produce strong, capable leaders and individuals as they leave us and move forward in life.