Years 7 - 9
The curriculum at Matravers has been designed with several aims in mind, these include:
- Providing a broad and balanced experience of subjects;
- Inspiring learners so that they are successful and achieve exceptional outcomes;
- Offering variety and adaptability so that the needs of all students are met and that they are happy at school;
- Being innovative and creative in our models so that students can achieve their ambitions;
- Challenging students to take risks and develop resilience by engaging in new activities.
At Key Stage 3 we offer a 3 year curriculum model that consists of 50 hours of learning. During this time students experience learning across and beyond the National Curriculum subjects including:
- Religious Studies
- Information Technology/Computing
In year 7 two assembly periods make up the 50 hours with 9 hours of curriculum time being allocated to our specialism subjects of Art, Dance, Drama and Music. Setting of students starts in year 7 in English and Maths, the English sets are also used to determine the class sets for History, Geography, RS, French and Science, all other subjects are taught in mixed ability tutor groups.
Homework is an integral part of the curriculum and opportunities exist for students to participate in numerous co-curricular activities.
In addition to the main curriculum described above several ‘intervention layers’ also exist. The first is in the form of the Enhanced Learning Pathway (ELP), where students receive teaching in small supportive classes. For other students intervention is offered via a menu of interventions including at various points:
- Small group, targeted bespoke intervention to support progress in KS3 Maths and English;
- Tailoring of the curriculum for individual students via Private Study;
- Ambition sessions to help raise the aspirations of vulnerable girls;
- Careers advice;
- Enterprise—where students have the opportunity to create, design and promote a new product.
Year 8 follows a similar curriculum model to year 7.
Year 9 follow the same curriculum model as year 8. Towards the end of year 9 students will be given the opportunity to determine their future curriculum by choosing their Level 2 qualifications.
Year 9 - Making Choices
Four option choices need to be made by all pupils. All pupils will be required to choose one subject from History, Geography or French. The remaining choices will depend on their chosen career pathway and interests.
Year 10/11 - The Curriculum
The majority of students follow a compulsory Core Curriculum that consists of:
- English Language GCSE – 4 hours
- English Literature GCSE – 4 hours
- Maths GCSE – 8 hours
- Science (2 GCSEs) – 10 hours
- Core PE – 3 hours
- 4 option subjects – 5 hours each
- Religious Studies – 1 hour
Year 9 - Options Process
More details on the options process and how it will operate can be found in the options booklet in the link below. There are also a series of video below, explaining the process and introducing a range of subject presentations.
Options Booklet for Year 9 2022
Year 9 - Options Process
Digital Information Technology
Health & Social Care
Travel & Tourism
Art & Design
Food Preparation & Nutrition